Saturday, January 24, 2009

Time for Change

So yes, we have a new president, and I think he will do great things..but I don't want to be political in my blogs. There are too many outspoken people out there and I don't feel educated enough on politics to talk about issues when I am not 100% up to speed with all the facts.

This post is about change at work. After much debate, the faculty finally voted on switching our curriculum at HPU to 4 hour courses vs 3 hour courses and it passed. There is still some flexibility that courses could be more (like labs and sciences or whatever) and things could be less, but most courses will all turn in to 4 credits. There are good things and bad things about this switch, but what it means is that I will go from teaching 4 courses per semester to 3. Yes, still the same number of hours, but this means 30 less papers to grade, 1 less class to prep for and that I think is a huge deal. I also think it is a good thing because every department has to go and revise their curriculum which I think needs to be done.

The goal is to start fall 2010...so not too long, but I think it will be a painful year at HPU working on a new curriculum and implementing it!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hi Laurie! Okay - paddles - I got the yellow TYR catalyst paddle. It looks like a baby compared to my old big green ones (although the green TYR ones are actually smaller than the yellows...) this is all so confusing! Can I ask your opinion on paddle size for the weak? ;) Hope you are well!