Wednesday, May 23, 2012

GF Choco Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I wanted to make some cookies to have around the house. And I decided on chocolate chip oatmeal ones. So I went searching for a recipe and settled on this one:  Allergy Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I liked that they were egg free too since we were heading to some friends house whose son can't have eggs. I thought this would be a nice treat for all of us since they looked so good in the picture.

Here is the first batch that came out of the oven


Yes, they were too big and I realize that. So the next ones I made smaller. Now the directions say to let cool for 10 min on the cookie sheet, so that I did. The problem because when I was done, I couldn't get them off the parchment paper. And they turned out so very flat. I did make a couple substitutions, none of which I think should have caused this. I substituted white rice flour for brown rice flour and honey for molasses and regular butter for the dairy free butter.

Might be one of the more terrible recipes I've tried. My cookies came out super flat and what I can get off the parchment paper is no longer a cookie, just bits and pieces and the taste is just not all that good. Next time, I'm going to try these GF Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

Always trial and error with the GF cooking. Sometimes I think I should just stick to my one cookbook I have as everything I've made from there turns out good, but I like to experiment and find other stuff out there. Next up, I'm back to making one of my all time favorites-the ultimate bread base with unlimated possibilities and I will be making a blueberry lemon bread. I have used this recipe tons of times with different flavor combinations and love it. I do use her suggestion for flour versus bobs red mill, and I've learned how moist the dough needs to be to turn out well sometimes having to add a bit more flour, but that has come with time. And I just love that this can be turned into anything I want.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Was there Xanthan Gum or Guar gum in them? I've had that problem with choc chip cookies before. Was there an egg substitute - ie: flax or chia slurry?