Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wicked

So two weeks ago I flew up to Detroit for a long weekend (not the best of time since it is the middle of summer school). Eric didn't come since it was a little too expensive for both of us to fly up there for the weekend. I flew up through DC (Regan) and got delayed...wow I don't ever want to fly through that airpoit again, what a mess. I got in late Friday evening and my parents had the fire pit going so we sat around and drank and ate and stayed warm.

I convinced Krista to go running with me while I was there since I am in the middle of heavy training and she said sure-even though she hasn't been running hardly at all. So Saturday morning we went out for a short run (4 miles for me, a little over 3 for her) and then got ready to go see Wicked.

We were going to the afternoon show since apparently the theater is in a bad part of downtown Detroit and the Masonic Temple was beautiful!! I had tried to read the book but I just couldn't get through it...just too slow for me. I read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and thought it was great but Wicked was just a bit slow. After seeing the play thought, I could tell that second half of the book was probably really amazing. I would highly recommend this play to anyone, it ranks right up there as one of my favorites, along with Rent (and Mamma Mia). And the music was just great. The lady who played Elphaba (The Wicked Witch) was the understudy and I think she had the best voice out of anyone on the stage (and including the recording voice on the soundtrack), it was that good. I would see it again if it ever comes to town here, but definitely want to be a little closer.

My Aunt and Uncle and cousins came over for the evening and we just hung out and watch the hockey game...good times as usual. Sunday morning I convinced my sister that we could run to Jenny's Farm Stand (a little over 8 miles) and get breakfast. Actually, my mom and Ethan would drive over to the farm stand and pick us up on the way if we didn't want to go the entire time. I ran together with her for the first 4.5 miles and then I ran ahead and she ended up getting picked up while I managed to make it the whole way...this is my 3 longest run ever. My first being the half marathon I did back in 2000, my 2nd being the 10 mile run I did over a year ago...the day my knee began to hurt...so this is very good for me.

We got some strawberries and sweet cream biscuits and ate "strawberry shortcake" for breakfast...and it was SOOOOOO good. Wow, those biscuits were awesome. The rest of the day consisted of running errands (twice to Costco) and lunch with my other cousin and her husband...who might be moving to Tennessee.

I will write more about the evening (the Man Cave) another day...this is long enough!

Either way...what you should learn is to go see Wicked!!

No comments: