Saturday, June 29, 2013

GF All Purpose Flour Mix and Zucchini Recipes

So...I was on the hunt for some zucchini recipes because we have a ton right now from our garden and I wanted to use them up. I typically make a GF all purpose flour mix out of a cookbook I have, but EZ has packed that cookbook away and so I was then on the hunt to find one.

I read Gluten Free Girl & the Chef quite frequently, as she always has good recipes (typically a little more extravagant than what I need, but always good). And she posted this blog post a while back on making your own mix. And it was easy and turned out awesome!

OK, so I have to be honest. I have never used my scale that I own to measure flours. And you know what, it wasn't bad. And in fact, what was even better is that her recipe is so simple to use whatever flours you have as long as its in the 40/60 ratio. I had such a wide variety of flours on hand and not too much of many of them. This turned into a ridiculous combination. My 40% whole grain flours were probably 250gr of sorghum, 100 gr of buckwheat and 50gr almond flour, My 60% starch flours were something like 200gr potato starch, 150 gr tapioca starch, 200 gr sweet rice flour, 50gr rice flour. Again, because I literally used up all my sorghum, potato starch, tapioca starch and sweet rice flour.

But I did it all on my scale, actually I just put one huge container (I normally store my flour in) on the scale, and then just kept adding the flours in. First just making sure I hit 400gr of the whole grain flours and then just kept adding what I had of my starch flours for the remaining 600gr to finish it up.

And then I made zucchini muffins. I choose these zucchini muffins from "Cooking With my Kid". And they are amazing! So so sooo good! The only thing I did differently is I didn't use a full 2/3 cup of melted butter, it was probably more like 1/2 cup. That was only because I have butter out of a tub from a creamery and I scooped out a bunch and melted it and that's what it made and I didn't feel like making more.  I do think they have quite a bit of sugar in them though. But they are good none the less, and with 4 cups of shredded zucchini in them, they have some healthy benefits!

I then wanted to make something else with my zucchinis and decided on this Zucchini Cherry Sunflower Bread from Gluten Free Girl. What is funny is that these two recipes are actually pretty identical. The only difference being the added dried cherries and sunflower seeds. I didn't have cherries so I used dried cranberries. I also just used the GF mix I had mad and subbed in equal weight of the flour to her total amount of flour in grams. I made a couple muffins and one big loaf of bread. And the muffins are awesome. They do tasted exactly like the other ones just with the added cranberries and a bit of crunch.

I don't know why I have been so hesitant to make my own flour. And I was even more scared when I had to used 6 different flours to make my mix (of 7 cups total). But in the end, it worked brilliantly and wasn't hard at all. And I think the muffins/bread are also a serious winner!!

No comments: