Friday, November 23, 2012

Half Marathon No More

Next weekend I was suppose to run in the Mistletoe Half Marathon. My training has been awesome. Two weeks ago I did a 12.1 mile run (according to my GPS) in 1:40. My PR is 1:48 which I did summer 2011, and I was doing 8 mile tempo runs in 7:50 pace. I was all set to go after breaking 1:45 even on a somewhat hilly course since I train in a hilly area.

Then a little over a week ago, I had the most bizarre things happen. I think it was a combination of dehydration and being sick (having a fever which I didn't know about), but I went out for a 5 mile run after work and started feeling sick.  It wasn't cold out (50ish) and as soon as I finished and got in my car to drive home from work I started shivering. Shivering turned into practically uncontrollably shaking. I had to stop driving home because I felt so sick and nauseous. I had the heat on full blast and I shivered for 50 minutes.

After that day, my calf was a bit off, like it just cramped up for too long while shivering. I went for an easy 3 mile run two days later, then the next day went for another easy run and 1/2 mile into my run, I literally felt my calf almost pop and curl up. Ouch. I stopped and hobbled home. I haven't been able to run since. So I now am no longer running the half next week. Pretty bummed about it but it is what it is. It still is a little off, I definitely can't run on it right now, but I think perhaps another week off and maybe I can run again.

I had all along only decided on the half because I was building a base of running and this forced me to do it. I was running 25ish miles a week which is good for me and was getting fit and faster. This was all because I've had a goal of breaking 22 min in a 5K for quite a while and am going to start trying in the spring. I am going to stick to that plan and start speed work once I can. We'll see how long it takes me to break 22 min.

No comments: