Saturday, March 08, 2014

Hanson's Marathon Plan (week 17)

Wow, training...almost done. I finished my last something of substance workout Thursday with a 10mile run at marathon pace. I missed a workout a week and a half ago because I was sick but that is the only day I've missed throughout these 17 weeks so far. I've been having IT band issues, which migrated to calf issues, and then it migrated to my achilies and now is more my plantar. But I'm running through it, seeing my physical therapist/chiro/ART doctor, getting taped, e-stem treatments, massage, foam rolling a ton, stretching, icing, popping advil like there is no tomorrow and trying to work with it.

 Currently, I'm running pretty pain free until about mile 7. Hopefully next week on race day I can make it at least to mile like 16 before some pain starts setting in. We will see! I can run through the pain pretty well. It is fairly dull, but I've only run with the pain for maybe 7+ miles on it, so I don't know what running say 20 miles in pain will do.

I'm in taper now, meaning for me, all my runs are now easy runs! Wow, don't know how I made it this far. But I hit all my times for all my runs, so I have to trust the plan, right? I made one small deviation on my last 16 miler, and ran 18. I was coming off of being sick and was suppose to run 6 on Saturday and 16 Sunday and I hadn't run Friday from being sick. I was still feeling beat on Saturday and only did 4, and I felt good by Sunday so I made it 18. Hanson's plan is all about only capping out at 16 miles for a long run, but I felt I needed it for me both physically and mentally.

And the countdown is on...almost one week until race day. Note...this is not me in the picture below.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Woohoo!!! Less than a week to go!